Psychology students from Penn State’s World Campus, the university’s online degree program, used Hyperfair’s platform in a very creative and innovative way for a truly unique project.
The PSU World Campus chapter of Psi Chi created a VR Hub where every student owned a virtual booth to present their research poster. Students created their own 3D booth layout and they personalized it with images, videos, content and their research poster.
At the PSU World Campus Psi Chi Research Virtual Conference Psychology majors presented their research on a variety of topics via the virtual environment. Three areas were created in the virtual environment:
- Clinical and Cognitive Research
- Social and I/O Research
- World Campus Clubs
Students customized their booth with posters detailing their research so that visitors could learn more about their research and engage with the presenters real-life, in a 3D immersive environment. They could explain it in more detail and answer the visitors’ question by interacting as avatars, recreating the experience of a physical event.
The event was open to all the university staff, students, and to the public giving the opportunity to World Campus students to show their high quality research to their peers and to professors that wouldn’t generally be exposed to their work.
Everyone enjoyed the experience very much and the event was a success. Here we report some of the feedback we got from students:
- “…when I stopped by there were tons of people! Great experience. I plan to come back later to take it all in.”
- “I think this is very groundbreaking and we need to market it to bring attention and support to not only WC Psi Chi but online learning at good universities in general.”
- “My Dad and my brother came and thought the whole thing was pretty great.”
- “Enjoyed the fair, unique and fun. This may just become the way for future education.”
- “Awesome job. Had some people at my booth and I engaged them first and that seemed to open them to asking questions. Actually was able to present some ideas. Neat format. Great job you and the staff did to make it a success.”
- “I just wanted to thank you both, as well as everyone else who was involved, so very much for putting on the Psi Chi fair. The experience was a blast, and it really made me feel as though I, as a World Campus student, had something to contribute to the greater Penn State community. It was the most fun I had all year, from putting together the poster and project to talking with other students and guests. Thank you so much for all your hard work; I just wanted to let you know it’s immensely appreciated.”
And here are the impressions of some of the Faculty Members and Staff who attended:
- “It was a great opportunity for our World Campus Students to have similar opportunities as their on-campus equivalents.”
- “I really enjoyed the conference. I was able to hang on to the speaker’s presentation until 4:45, but was even more taken with the students. I visited three booths and had conversations with each of those staffing the locations. The students’ ability to discuss their research was very impressive.”